Saturday, June 23, 2018

Altar Tour // Spring + Air Altar




A little belated due to literally technical difficulties, but here is the altar I had put together for Spring! When Spring came, I was really feeling flowers and vibrant yellows and pinks. So I had fresh flowers, bright art, and a yellow honeysuckle candle. I feel that honeysuckle may be more representative of Summer but it's one of my birth flowers so I still felt drawn to it. My primary desire was just that the candle was yellow (the lovely scent was just a bonus!) In the video I mention that it was hard for me to smell it. As it burned I did grow to smell it more, albeit faintly; it was a gentle pleasant scent. I have some issues with my senses of scent and taste and each are very very faint for me. #funfact haha

In conjunction with Spring, the element of Air was working strongly in my life. Spring is the season associated with Air, so they meshed perfectly. With Air, I was connecting strongly with birds. I was so fascinated with watching them flit about, soar, and even just watch the birds that nest on our porch as they lay eggs and as those eggs hatch and the babies grow.

The centerpiece of my altar was a real bird nest with bird eggs in it. Our apartment has this awning over the front porch with columns, and birds like to nest in the top of the columns. But our next-door neighbor took the nest by her apartment down. ("The bird kept trying to attack me." she said. We find it likely the bird would get startled when she'd open the door and fly off - which was the case for our bird. Unlike her, we would say sorry to the bird for startling it.) We realized a while afterwards while walking around the apartment that the nest was on the ground, and after keeping an eye on it we knew it had been abandoned along with the eggs. So I brought it onto the altar so that it could be honored. During the time we were keeping an eye out on the nest, I went over to my father's and found two more eggs on the ground that had fallen out of the trees. In the early photo of my altar, you can see where I'd had those eggs before bringing in the nest also. It's heartbreaking so I wanted to put forth some love to those homes and lives that they had unfortunately been deprived of. I ended up having to toss them, though, after my cat got onto the altar and broke one of the eggs. I'd love to add another abandoned nest to my altar when the birds migrate. I actually have two nests stacked on top of each other on my front porch right now. I've never seen that before! There was a dove that took over the location of a robin's nest after they had flown away. There's another nest on the back porch, but it's currently occupied. Maybe one of them will be a good option, and would give space for birds to come again next year.




Aside from the bird nest and eggs, I also began collecting bird feathers, which I am still continuing to do. Most of them are tiny feathers but they feel so special to me. That's an amazing thing about being out in nature, even your own backyard, is being able to find things that have been lost and continue to give them life and honor. 

One last element that I really loved was my melted snow. It was a happy accident that I forgot to add it to my Yule altar, and I believe every year I will collect snow for my Spring altar, allowing it to melt away and bring forth Spring. So perfectly symbolic!


Well, better late than never! And now on to the next season!


Stay Wild, Moon Child!

)o(
 - Toria Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment